Thursday, August 2, 2012

Sleep is for sissies


When I first accepted a job at the hospital I work at, I worked on a post-partum and pediatric floor from 3-11.  It was a total God send.  However, my hubby worked 5:00 AM- 2:00 PM, and we literally passed each other on the road with me going to work and him coming home.  The only time I saw him Monday through Friday was after I got home when he and A were already in bed.  It wasn't easy, but we did what we had to do.

Fast forward 10 months and administration decides to put our unit on 12 hour shifts.  Not long after that, I had Savannah and went on maternity leave.  I will never forget the first time I worked a 12 hour night shift.  I called my dad to to help me stay awake and I was still nodding off while driving.  It was so scary and incredibly dangerous.  The only thing I could do was get in the door and fall on the couch.  I didn't even make it to our bed.  I was so tired I was sick.  Literally.  I thought I was going to throw up.

Eventually my body got used to this crazy schedule.  A big part in thanks to my friend caffiene.  Sometimes though, like this morning, I wake up when T heads to work and can't fall back asleep.  My body has no idea when it is supposed to sleep, so it wants to sleep a little during the day and a little at night when I'm off.

I'm sure it doesn't help that we have major life changes going on right now, and my mind just doesn't want to let me rest.  Does anyone else have a crazy schedule that keeps them from sleeping a "regular" schedule?  I'd love to hear any tips on how to maintain a healthy sleep cycle!

No comments:

Post a Comment